Dishoom recently shared the recipe for one of their incredibly popular dishes – chilli cheese toast. Yes, it is basic but it’s so simple to recreate (minus the egg), and tastes the same as the real deal.
It’s perfect for brunch or lunch – particularly now as lots of us are working from home. I’m sure you probably don’t miss the Tesco meal deal you used to grab on your way in to work in the morning, but equally, you may not have time to throw a fancy lunch together, so this is perfect!
It takes minutes to make, but is filling and tastes delicious! I should warn you though that this is spicy, so I skip the chilli powder and chilli flakes, because I’m a wuss. However, you can do the same, or even add more chilli if you’re brave enough!
Read more: Why Dishoom Is So Great
WHAT YOU NEED: For 2 slices
• Bread – sourdough works really well
• 30g of cheddar cheese (or any mixture that you have) – enough to basically cover the bread
• Handful of spring onions, chopped
• 1/4 diced red onion
• 1/4 tsp chilli powder
• 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
• 1 green chilli, finely chopped
• Salt & pepper to taste
• Add some fresh coriander if you’re going for a boujee cheese toast – I personally love it!
- Grate approximately 30g of cheese. If you’re a cheese lover, you do your thing, no one is watching how much cheese you’re adding *wink* – and obviously substitute this for vegan cheese if you need to!
- To a bowl, add the cheese, spring onions, red onion, coriander, spices and seasoning.
- Grill one side of your bread
- Take it out and flip it over. You can butter the other, untoasted side of the bread, slightly so it stays soft. This is optional, but I skip this step.
- Add your cheese and spice mix topping to the untoasted side of the bread
- Grill until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with ketchup and enjoy!
It’s as easy as that and literally takes minutes to assemble! Have you tried the chilli cheese toast at Dishoom?